The opposition United Democratic Party will reveal its presidential candidate for December 1 election on September 1. This news is contained in a press release issued by the party.
UNITED DEMOCRATIC PARTY (UDP)
NOTICE FOR THE SELECTION OF PARTY PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE
United Democratic Party (UDP) hereby gives notice for the selection of the party Presidential Candidate for the December 1st 2016 Presidential Elections.
1. Application for selection as the party presidential candidate is open to all interested party members.
2. All applications must be addressed and submitted to the Chairperson UDP Central Committee on or before Tuesday 30th August, 2016 at 10. 00 am prompt.
3. The UDP Central Committee chaired by the party Secretary General shall meet on Tuesday 30th August, 2016 at 11:00 am at the party National Bureau in Banjul, to act on the applications duly received.
4. The UDP Selection Committee chaired by the Party National President shall meet on Wednesday 31st August, 2016 at 11:00 am at the party National Bureau in Banjul, to do the selection of the party Presidential Candidate for the December 1st 2016 Elections.
5. The UDP will formerly unveil the Party Presidential Candidate for the December 1st 2016 Elections, on Thursday 1st September, 2016 through press conference to be held at the party National Bureau in Banjul at 11:00 am.
Mariam B. Secka
Chairperson UDP Central Committee
24th August, 2016
I sincerely hope that after a free, exhaustive deliberations and a competitive rounds of selection, Mrs Secka prevail as the unanimous candidate. That will be a milestone and should further entrench UDP as the party of all Gambians.
I also hope that a running mate is selected. Who ideally, hail from a different ethnic group and area as the flagbearer.
Who said it won’t be you Kenteh if you had aready or waiting to submit your application pal?
You sounded really stronger but mint to me while I had to base my judgment on that and by all means.
We all have to get to the end to realise if everything worth it or not really. All you have do is just go for it mbading….
Mbading, if it is a gesture , am flattered! If it’s a serious nomination plans from you, I humbly reject. For I think men and women deserve it, who are seasoned, spent blood and tears to get us freed. I think within the UDP and the fraternity, there are better deserving candidates with foresight and wisdom to captain us through a very delicate future troubled by the atrocities of this regime and the need for national cohesion. A great task ahead.
Unfortunately not impressive and inevitably considered sheer lack of preparation!
Why was it not part of Congress agenda until 3 months to December 2016 Presidential elections, to desperately nominate someone by default?
Politics is a dynamic process and this will be second time UDP will have a leader nominated by default. Lawyer Ousainou Darboe came into politics by default to redeem PPP.
I am somewhat by puzzled this press release from the UPD. I was thinking that the main focus of their energy and activity would be the demand for the unconditional release of their entire executive now being held hostage by Jammeh.
With all that has been happening lately, it seems inconceivable that the party will put up a candidate to contest an already stolen election.
I believe it will be a betrayal of what Solo Sandeng died for, electoral reform, if UDP goes to election with Jammeh on December 1st without addressing the twin issues of electoral reform and state sponsored murder of it’s militants.
No election without reform, no election with dictator.
Dictators are not in the business of allowing elections that could remove them from their thrones.
Fighting dictator Yaya Jammeh should be ongoing until we chase him out of our lives. Of course, UDP should put a candidate in or work with other parties to form an alliance and contest the election in December, 2016. Even though I was against elections with Yaya because the elections were never free or fair and the victimization of the people asking for electoral reforms which he flatly refused. Dictator Jammeh is a punk that need to be taught a lesson.