The home of the Gambia’s Kora King was last night set ablaze. The fire, which gutted part of Jaliba Kuyateh’s home, was blamed on a faulty electric cable.
Some of Mr. Kuyateh’s sympathisers have accused the National Water and Electricity Company (NAWEC) of negligence and carelessness, resulting to gutting of a line house and many personal properties in Jaliba’s Brikama home.
The incident comes at a time when Jaliba Kuyateh is trying to recover from the sudden demise of his leading Wollof drummer, Nyaw Nying who passed away a fortnight ago.
Jaliba Kuyateh’s family, particularly his wife Fatou Suso, was visibly shaken and upset by the unexpected incidence.
NAWEC officials are yet to issue any statement on the fire.
Since the Gambian fire fighters have once again proven their undependable nature, crowd of people helped the philanthropist musician to contain the fire.
Mr. Kuyateh is reported to have given thanks and praise to Allah for sparing lives in the inferno.
Jaliba’s fans and well-wishers have been using their Facebook pages to pour messages of sympathy and support Mr. Kuyateh. Jaliba, a qualified teacher used the 21-string mystical Kora instrument to teach, promote and showcase the rich Gambian culture to the world.